Wednesday, May 22, 2013

One Big Dramatic Family!

Authors Note: This piece is my feeling on the musical I was in, "Thoroughly  Modern Millie." I share my thoughts on practices and my new family. I take this work as a proud piece, even if it is not an essay. I mambeled on and on, but that's because I had lots to write about..... good things to write about. Later on I am planning to write a true essay on the musical.


Being in the musical “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” was a great experience for me. By experiencing the musical, I definitely learned how to be myself and how to create a character within my role. Normally, I am outspoken and I am shy around others. In this musical I was able to interact with others who I normally wouldn’t talk to. I learned that becoming friends with others isn’t a bad thing, and most importantly, I learned how to be apart of a second family. My drama family.

I wasn’t expecting to like drama from my first experience when I was in the play “High School Musical.” I hated it and I thought I wouldn’t want to do it again. After some thought, I decided it would be best for me, knowing that there is no class in high school. This year was much better now that we had the new auditorium and dressing rooms. We also had a smaller cast, which made it easier to remember names and to become close with all of them.

Last year, I felt like a nobody. My teacher’s didn’t know my name and they really didn’t know if I was even in the show or not. I remember walking into class one day and the director asked me if I was tech crew or not: that made me mad. This year was a lot better. Comparing this year and last year, overall, this year way by far better. I have made new friends, and I learned my lesson on judging others.

This semester was extraordinary because Ms. Hartz knew each and everyone of us-- that’s what I love about having a small cast. In this semester I was a minor role, and I got who I asked for- Lucille!  I enjoyed being a Pricilla Girl because it made me feel special. Last year I was a brainiac and I felt like I wasn’t even seen. For those who were not a lead or minor role in this musical, I felt like that they were more noticed than last year. Like I said, teacher’s knew who we were.

Another thing that I wanted to point out, was the fact that the rehearsals weren’t so bad. I remember in seventh grade when I wanted to get the heck out of class. I wasn’t recognized and I didn’t feel special.  This year, more practicing kept me going... I loved it! Teachers’ kept us going with encouragement even when we were bored, this made us want it more!

When it became tech week, this is when we definitely became a family. We loved each other for who we were and we didn’t judge each other. School can be known for gossip and feeling self conscious, but not in drama. Drama was drama and we kept school drama out of it.  Our teachers made us feel loved and they taught us to become a family. When we had drama last year, I remember feeling like the teachers only worked with the leads, and I felt like the leads though they were everything. Don’t get me wrong, they were important, but everyone is equal. This year, our “Millie” was extremely nice to everyone, no matter the part. She treated everyone with respect and didn’t care who we were, she loved us for who we were. I loved that about her! I will always remember when we were behind backstage waiting and getting ready with one another. We laughed and belted the songs. We took pictures together and made each other laugh. I felt so close with everyone, I even brought ice cream for the cast.  Another thing I remember was giving Danielle her gift: That made me happy.

I felt like I could bond with all my peers, even the boys. I normally and shy around others, but this time, I was myself. Pictures was the most fun part. A cast member's mom came and took pictures. All of us were being silly and goofing off, and we had fun with it. I loved this year’s drama.

When it came to show time, we were all rallied up. Nervous, excited, anxious, happy, no matter what, we were all hugging each other and being ourselves. We encouraged the nervous, greeted the excited, laughed with the anxious, and was happy with everyone. This was the year, when I learned, that I have another family, a true family!

No comments:

Post a Comment