Thursday, October 4, 2012

Experiencing the Moments of Freedom!

Authors Note: In this piece I am conveying a personal narrative. You will find lots of emotions, and feelings of what I got to experience in Costa Rica! I will always remember these moments in time, and I have learned a valuable lesson as well!

As you zip across the jungle, you hear and see the sounds of trembling water. Landing on the plank, and jumping off of the end of the line, surrounding you is nothing but natural beauty.This exhilarating place is Costa Rica, the Central  American country known for its magnificent zip lining across the treetops. Costa Rica gave me nothing but the most exciting and pleasurable experience of a lifetime: to be zip lining over nothing but  natural rainforest beauty!

Many people have a bucket list, with many different things things on it they want to do before they die. They may have going to State Fair, holding a duck, swimming in a lake, or climb a tree to the tippy top. On mine there was zip lining in Costa Rica, now, it’s crossed off. I got the amazing opportunity to go to Costa Rica with my family, and I am glad that I did so that I can say that my major thing to do  on my bucket list is crossed off. Zip lining in Costa Rica was one of the most amazing and memorable things I have experienced in my life.

When my family and I arrived at the destination, where we started the adventure, we had to sign a whole bunch of papers explaining that would could not sue them for any reason. Momentarily after that, we went to go get geared up and and put helmets on. The people here speak Spanish, so I was one of the only ones who could understand their accent. They told us to put all the equipment on, and we’d head up to the starting plank. At the top of the mountain that we climbed up to learn the safety information, we met a family from San Diego. Much later we finally got to start. Willingly, I had said that I didn’t want to go first, so my mom did. Toward the front of the line, I knew it was my turn next, and that’s when my heart started racing.

Standing among the beauty of the rainforest, and taking it all in, the guy told me it was my turn to go. Although I was scared, I knew I needed to do this for the experience. I closed my eyes and zoomed across. During the middle of the line I decided to open my eyes really quickly, instead, I ended up keeping them open. The freshness of the wind whipping my hair back, eyes fluttering in shock, and listening to the sounds of nature, made me realize that right then and there, was a moment of a lifetime. Descending, I knew that I shouldn’t be upset because there was more lines to go. Reaching for them to grab me, I recall them asking how it was. All I remember saying was “Wow, it was amazing!” Beyond the expectation I had for it, it was a great turn-on. I now realize how many people are fearful of it, but wouldn’t you be glad to say you did? Now, we are walking to the next plank. Much climbing and a lot of hiking, it was so much fun to be able to just let free and not hold back. After continuous lines of enjoyment and thrilling rides, it was the last one. This had to be the longest and the highest. I jumped onto the line and I went from there. Off into the rainforest where no one could see you because the treetops were in the way, it was just me and nature for the last time in the air. In between mixed feelings, this one had to be the greatest. When you are in the air, trust me, you won’t think you will die, it’s going to be the most amazing time of your life! This is sometime I will never forget, and something I want to do again.

With many words said, this had to be the trip with the most emotions running through my body. I am very grateful for the time I got to spend with my family. Now I know everyday, not to take things in my life for granted, but to take it as a privilege. Each and every day, I learn something just because of this experience. If I wouldn’t have done this, I wouldn’t be where I stand now. All I have left to say, be free and don’t let go!

No comments:

Post a Comment